What is Ultrasonic Liposuction?
Ultrasonic liposuction is a type of liposuction procedure that utilizes sound waves to aide in the removal of excess fat from targeted areas of the body. Ultrasonic liposuction liquefies fat before removing it from the body, making it easier for surgeons to remove fat from hard-to-reach areas such as the chin, neck, and around the knees.
How does it work?
The procedure is similar to traditional liposuction but before fat is removed, a fluid is introduced into the fatty area of the body that contains both a dilute anesthetic and fluid to make the area firm. Next, the cannula, or the small tube used to suck out the fat, is introduced into the fatty area. The cannula sends sound waves into the fat, which turns the fat to liquid by rupturing the cell walls of the fat cells. Then, the fat is easily removed through the cannula and is removed from the body permanently.
What are some benefits?
- Ultrasonic liposuction can remove more fat cells than traditional liposuction procedures in a shorter period of time. This is beneficial for higher-fat areas such as thighs or buttocks where surgeons may have a good deal of fat to remove during one procedure.
- Ultrasonic liposuction is designed to remove denser fat pockets. Because the fat is liquefied before being removed from the body, surgeons are better able to remove fat from areas that have smaller amounts of fat or areas in which the fat is denser, such as in the chest in men, the area around the top of the buttock and the lateral bra area.
- Ultrasonic liposuction is a more precise procedure, allowing surgeons to better sculpt and contour your body. This procedure is especially useful in removing fat from more complex areas such as around the knees or under the chin, and for creating a sculpted contouring around the abdominals.
- Ultrasonic liposuction tightens the skin covering the removed fat during the procedure. Risks of skin dimpling or puckering after surgery are reduced greatly by using this method because it tightens skin that would otherwise hang loose from fat removal from the older traditional types of liposuction.
- Since the cannula are smaller and the force used to remove the fat cells is less, the recovery is usually easier and shorter
- The bruising is also usually less due to less trauma under the skin from a more gently procedure.
At The Kole Plastic Surgery Center, ultrasonic liposuction is one of the options available to remove excess fat from targeted areas of the body. To learn more about ultrasonic liposuction and other liposuction options, call 215-315-7655 to schedule a consultation.
Dr. Kole will explain to you more about ultrasonic liposuction and will help you decide which type of liposuction or combination of liposuction types is most appropriate in order for you to get the best results possible.