Prepare for Breast Reduction Surgery in Bucks County PA
Once you are counting down the weeks and days until your breast reduction surgery there are certain preparations to be made in order for a smooth transition into surgery. You are undergoing breast reduction to reduce the size of your breasts so that they will be in proportion with the rest of your upper body and possibly no longer cause physical discomfort, as well. Most patients have thought long and hard after struggling with breasts that are much too large for their body frames and possibly some of these additional reasons: nipples that face downward, improving your bodily appearance and image, fixing a severe problem with asymmetry along with unbalanced size. You might be having additional plastic surgical procedures like liposuction of the abdomen or bra area in conjunction with your breast reduction procedure which is not uncommon. Dr. Edward S. Kole will give you comprehensive pre-operative instructions, address all questions and concerns you have long before you reach the time so close to your surgery.
Ahead of your breast reduction surgery Dr. Kole will request that you:
- Stop taking herbal medications, aspirin and all NSAIDS that have the ability to cause increased or non-specific bleeding
- Stop smoking altogether at least four weeks in order to help with circulation and proper healing
- Avoid drinking alcohol for two weeks
- Remain hydrated with water on a daily basis, as it is extremely important, for both before and after your procedure
- Place supplies that you will need for your recovery period in a spot that is easy to reach, due to the fact that, while healing your shoulders and arms have a day or so of decreased range of motion
- Put a support system into place since you will not be permitted to drive, do housework, lift and a few other common day activities for a minimum of fourteen days
- Pick out clothing to be worn, for the first few days after your procedure
- Designate the person who will be with you at the surgical center or hospital for your ride home and getting you set up while you will be groggy from the effects of general anesthesia
You are now ready for your breast reduction surgery. Dr. Kole has discussed the specific surgical plan customized for your body and the approximate amount of time it should take.
On the day of your surgery expect the following:
- Please do not wear any make-up, powder, nail polish or fragrances
- Come in wearing soft, comfortable clothing that will feel good after your procedure and you will be able to get into easily, usually a shirt that opens from the front and slip in shoes are best
- Only personal items needed are an identification card and insurance card, any jewelry or other items should remain home
- The anesthesia doctors use general anesthesia for breast reduction surgery through an IV line and then inhalation with anesthesia gas.
- With safety being number one priority, at all times different monitors will be in use to check all vital statistics, which includes the level of oxygen throughout your blood
- Once your breast reduction is finished you will be moved to the recovery room and continued to be constantly monitored
- Upon leaving the surgical center or hospital your breasts will have gauze bandages and a surgical bra, as well
- Once you meet requirements to be released and not until then is when your discharge home takes place
Please contact The Kole Plastic Surgery Center at 215-315-7655 to schedule your breast reduction consultation with Dr. Edward S. Kole. Our Office and Licensed Ambulatory Surgical Center is conveniently located at: 1122 Street Rd Southampton, PA 18966