A thin neck that accentuates the chin and jawline is coveted by most people with rounder faces and fuller necks. Not all necks are shaped alike, however, and depending on the fat deposits and skin structure of the neck, different cosmetic surgery options are most appropriate to thin the neck and make it appear more attractive. Two of the most common procedures to rid the neck of excess fat and skin are neck liposuction and a neck lift (platysmaplasty).
An expert in plastic surgery, like Kole Plastic Surgery at The Kole Plastic Surgery Center in Bucks County, PA, knows that the procedure you choose to correct your neck will greatly determine your satisfaction with the results. To make the choice easier, Dr. Kole outlines some of the important differences between the two procedures.
Neck liposuction might be right for you if….
- You generally maintain a healthy, steady weight but your neck has excess fat
- The primary problem is excess fat deposits, with little or no sagging skin
- You are dissatisfied with your double chin appearance
- The thickness of your neck is not proportional to the rest of your body and face
A Neck lift might be right for you if…
- You have excess sagging skin as a result of natural aging
- You have undergone extreme weight loss that has resulted in sagging neck skin
- You are dissatisfied with you “turkey waddle”
- You are dissatisfied with a number of other features such as hallowed cheeks or sagging jowls as well as extra neck skin
- The muscles of the neck are loose with poor muscle tone
Often, Dr. Kole will recommend getting neck liposuction in conjunction with a neck lift. This dual procedure is most appropriate for patients who have both excess fat in the neck and excess sagging skin. Liposuction will remove the fat, and a neck lift will remove any excess skin and tighten the remaining neck skin. Additionally, cosmetic implants might be suggested, such as a chin implant, to further accentuate the jawline and chin if the chin or jawline is “weak” or retrusive.
To learn more about which option might be right for you, contact The Kole Plastic Surgery Center Center and make an appointment for your free consultation for a neck evaluation. Please call 215-315-7655 .